Wednesday, August 27, 2008

4-The Assyrians have conquered Los Angeles!










As I was driving back from Orange County last year, my wife and I took a different freeway, I-5 and I passed this shopping outlet called "The Citadel". I had seen it years before but it has gone through some major renovations. As I drove past on the freeway it reminded me of the "8 Charactestics of Civilization"... remember #1) Cities, and walled cities at that. Well, this mall sure looks like Ninveh, the capital city of the Assyrian Empire (expect of course the ad for Super Loto!)

Here is a link to the history of this interesting mall and I've attached the photos I took while driving past.
http://www.citadeloutlets.com/info/ourhistory.cfm

2 comments:

LtAirForce said...

Just goes to show that ancient peoples still have an influence on our world today, nice find.
Alex Johnson

Atrin Toussi said...

Wow, of all the places that you would expect to see references of an ancient civilization, an outlet mall does not seem a likely candidate! These days, there are many architectural indications of earlier civilizations. However, it is very rare and unlikely to see such a precise imitation! What a great twenty-first century visual demonstration of an Assyrian palace.
~Atrin Toussi